Translate

Friday, November 11, 2011

Review: The Terrain Guy Game Mat



A while back I decided to abandon the hex battleground I had used and move to something more mobile. The obvious alternative was a game mat, but the majority of them are bland and appear to look more like golf courses with their ultra smooth texture. I happened to come across a web site http://theterrainguy.com/

After browsing the mats, I came across the green-brown mat and it appeared to be what I was looking for. So I decided to give it a try and ordered some extra flock to redo some existing hills I have. The colouring is quite nice and looks more natural than the bright and pretty golf courses used by Monday Knight Productions, who made my green mat.



The colouring matches my previous terrain for the most part and meets my goal of having something transportable. The mat itself is not made from felt, but a canvas type of backing that is thin and easily rolled up. The mat also came with a PVC tube to allow the mat to retain its shape and to assist with keeping a consistent roll-up shape.



I reflocked some hills and managed to come very close to mimic the mat's colouring.



The time from payment to receiving the mat was close to three weeks. Since these items are more of a custom piece than a prepackaged store item, I suppose this is to be expected. Over all I am happy with the results would recommend the mat to others who are interested in escaping the generic golf course look. This mat is 6x4 and I may end up purchasing a second one in case I decide to expand out the table.

Some may have wondered why I disappeared? I was around, just doing a variety of things like painting and rebasing figures for the rules I'll be using in the future: Black Powder for tactical level games with a group and Grande Armee for games that will be grand tactical in nature. I'll be posting a review of these rules within the next two weeks and why I'm adopting them and rebasing figures to fit within these rule sets. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. I've been surfing the 'net for just the product; I may get two of these for larger games. Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was thinking of getting a second one as well. Really good coloring and unique. I came across it not thinking anyone made such a mat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same mat and am trying to match my terrain as well. I wanted to ask what products you used to try and match the landscape.
    Thanks for the blog post.

    ReplyDelete